Faith Formation is one of the keys to equipping people to be disciples of Jesus Christ. Opportunities in Faith Formation assist the individual in:
- Growing in their relationship with God,
- Develop an understanding of the Bible and their Catholic faith, and
- Deepen their spiritual life and practices.
These opportunities include:
- Adult Bible Study - is a group of adults who enter into a deeper understanding of the scriptures through the reading of the Word and to learn how we can apply the Word of God to our daily lives. The group meets from 9:45 am to 10:45 am each Sunday.
- Catechists for Children and Youth (Religious Education Teachers) aid in guiding the children and youth of the parish to the Father, through the His Son, Jesus Christ, in the Holy Spirit through formation in the faith of the Catholic Church. The catechists serve as facilitators of religious education classes weekly during the school year.
- Rite to Christian Initiation (RCIA) is a Christ centered organization teaching the traditions and practices of the Catholic Church while focusing on Christs' love and sacrifice for us as sinners. RCIA seeks to support adults who are interested in becoming members of the Catholic Church. Members of the RCIA support these adults as they move learn more about the Catholic Church and discern their desire to be baptized and/or confirmed. The ministry ranges from actual teaching to being present and witnessing to the inquirers.
- Catholics Returning Home - is a parish based program designed to reach-out and invite non-practicing/ inactive Catholics to return “Home to the Catholic Church” and resume an active practice of their faith. The Dothan Deanery has three major outreaches per year; St. John’s outreach begins during the Christmas Season (January). The ministry runs one night per week for six weeks.
- Youth Group - consists of youth of grades 7 through 12 who grow together in life in Jesus Christ through common study of the Catholic faith, prayer, fellowship, and service. Adult volunteers share their faith with the youth and assist activities as needed.